Monday, August 15, 2011

I lost my job and don't know what should I do with my life?

I work for a government agency as an yst. I was told this morning that in a month, I will no longer have a job due to budget cuts. I was the most recent hire, unfortunately. I've been with this agency for 8 months and the head of the agency offered me references and said he would do what everything in his power to find me another position within the agency, but under a different funding source. (We have multiple agencies here with different funding sources). Most of those positions require a college degree, which I don't have (I have 74 credit hours), so to be offered an opportunity like that is incredible. However, if I take a position from one funding source, I will have to sell my house and move in the next 4 months, probably losing a great deal of money on the house. If I take a position from the other available source, I will take a significant pay cut - and I don't make much now. Or, I can decide to go back to school full-time and get a degree. (I have military benefits, so will get a living stipend while I go to school). We will still have to sell our house, because we won't be able to afford to keep it, but we will have more time and will likely break even. However, I won't make any money from the end of March until August, when the next semester starts. I can't afford not to work for 4 months, but have physical injuries, so can't work as a waitress or something short-term. What do you all think I should do?

No comments:

Post a Comment